Monday, August 25, 2008

New School and No Tears...



well that is no tears from Tyler at least. Dylan and I on the other hand were a different story. Our morning went great and Tyler was a champ getting ready to go to his new school. I think he was mostly excited about his lunch. He couldn't wait to put his lunchbox in his backpack and walk around the house with it on. He also had one specific request and that was that his pretend turtle was taken care of while he was gone. He handed his turtle off to Dylan and asked him to please watch him and to make sure he didn't drop it. He made it clear to Dylan that he would be asking me for a full report. Dylan proudly took the turtle and hasn't put it down since.

We got out of the house on time, which I was worried about because the boys have still been sleeping in until 10:00am since we got back from Albuquerque. The one thing I wasn't prepared for was the sudden emotions that had quickly come over me. You have to understand that Tyler went to a very small program that only consisted of three classrooms with 10-12 students in each. It was more of a Sunday school type setting, so this is very different.

As he walked to his class with such confidence in each step it just made my heart melt. I felt myself biting my lower lip harder and harder to fight back the tears. All I could think was my baby boy is so grown up. He went right to his chair and quickly turned back and said, "bye mom I love you!" No tears, no hesitation, no doubts, you would of thought he had been going there for years. As Dylan and I walked (actually we were practically running) to the car Dylan started crying for his "Ty" and I lost it. So many things ran through my mind. After a tearful drive home I took Dylan for a 2 mile walk and felt much better. The best part of the afternoon was the huge smile on Tyler's face when I picked him up and the non-stop conversation on the drive home about how much he loved his new school! He is thrilled and said he can't wait to go back again tomorrow! Let's just say I think kindergarten is going to be a very easy transition for him. The change didn't seem to effect him one bit!





It may be just me but doesn't he look around 7 yrs. old?



Sweet goodbye kisses!

2 comments:

Givens-Craig Family said...

What a great post. Tyler does look so grown in those pictures. It is hard for us to imagine how much bigger he has gotten since we saw him last. Your photos are great. I especially like the one of Tyler giving kisses bye. The ones of him on the step are adorable too.
On another note, it's so okay to cry over such a big step. I almost made it on our first day of Kindergarten (not really but close) until the teacher started reading "The Kissing Hand" after we talked the kids to class and whew, it was all over. (We kissed hands the whole year after that though and even some in 1st grade but 2nd graders are just too big for that)

Anonymous said...

Your boys are so handsome! What a great mom you are... also, great job on the photos, looks like your learning a few things from Jen!