Friday, September 5, 2008

Precious...



Yes, that is what these two are! They have the sweetest friendship. Although today I had some explaining to do to Tyler about his precious Riley. Mema offered to take the two little grandchildren for the evening so we could go to dinner with my brother, sister-in-law and my niece Riley. We figured the evening would be a lot more enjoyable minus the two little ones trying to run around the restaurant. So, in order to make this work we had to make the big kids think they were doing something special so they wouldn't be sad that they weren't going to Mema's house. We called them over and told them they were going on a special dinner and to keep it a secret. They were so excited and surprisingly were able to keep their secret from the little ones. As I am about to get ready Tyler walks in my room and says,"Mom you aren't going, Riley and I are going on a date by ourselves!" A what....a date! I am thinking are you kidding me and where did he come up with this? Is this what he has been thinking this whole time? Then it dawned on me that they have been obsessed with the Three Musketeers movie in which Mickey Mouse falls in love with Minnie and takes her on a special date. Then I start thinking about how he has recently been calling Riley "his honey" and it all started coming together. That's when our little talk began:

Tyler: Mom, your not going its just me and Riley going on a date!
Mom: A what?
Tyler: A date you know you go dancing and have dinner and then go dancing again!
Mom: Well, Tyler this is just going to be a nice dinner with all of us!
Tyler: But I love Riley and I am going to marry her!
Mom: I know you love Riley, but she is family and you can't marry her!
Tyler: Huh, I can't marrrry her and she can't be my date (with the I'm about to cry face)!
Mom: Your not old enough for marriage and dates...that's a long way a way.
Tyler: But I want to be like Mickey and she is my Minnie!
Mom: Well, this can be a pretend date(trying not to crush him) so you can treat her like a little lady, hold the door open for her and still hold her hand!
Tyler: But I really wanted to marry her!
Mom: I know but one day when your much much older I'm sure Riley will have a really nice friend you can take on a date!
Tyler: Ok, but can I still go get her a flower from out back?
Mom: You sure can!

My heart just melted. He truly loves his Riley! He wasn't very happy about not being able to take her dancing, but hopefully he's not crushed too bad. I'm not sure if he grasps the whole family thing because I think he still wants to marry "his Riley". They were so sweet and walked into the restaurant holding hands. We all had a great dinner and a really fun night! Hopefully, that will be the end of our dating conversations for a very long time because I was definitely not prepared for that today!


Tyler and Riley I can't wait for you both to read this one day. You two have the sweetest friendship and I am so thankful that you have the opportunity to grow up together. You have played together since you were babies and it is so amazing to watch your friendship grow and mature. Riley, I love you as if you were my own! You are such a beautiful, sweet and special little girl! I hope you both cherish your friendship and remain close throughout the rest of your lives!

1 comment:

Jess said...

we just wanted to wish Dylan a happy 3rd birthday yesterday. I can't believe he's 3! We love you and miss you all.